Friday, September 7, 2007

Driving on Guam (Small Things Amuses Me)


I'm not sure why this sign amuses me so much, but it does. Every time I drive by it I make note what day we're on.


It keeps track of how many days since the last DUI from the base. It came happen on or off base and the Sign People find out, then put your office's name on the board for all to see. It's even more amusing when it's the base police squadron that gets a DUI....I'm sure their commander finds no humor in it, though...nor the base General.... Nor would Drew if anyone from his office got one.

This guy is from the Navy's Helicopter squadron that stationed here. He apparently thought it was a good idea to go get some McDonald's at 3 a.m.....while he was very, very drunk...and thought it was would be a good idea to drive 110 mph in a 35 mph zone. Yep...110 mph. His commander is a neighbor...he was not amused. And neither will this guy each and every pay-check as he lost two pay grades. Ouch...that's gonna hurt!

As I tell my kids...alcohol can make you stupid. 110 in a 35? Very stupid.




Driving on Guam is an exercise in patience. (Or in the words of a friend - you just want to gouge your eyes out.) For most of the island the speed limit is 35 mph. Yuck. I really, really hate driving that slow. In the villages (we have villages not towns) the speed limit is 25 mph. Double yuck.

No wonder it takes almost an hour to get to the Navy base that's only 35 miles away.

It's even worse on base. Most of the base is 25, but in housing it's 15 mph. I think I can walk faster. I try to be good...would not do for the OSI's commander's wife to get a ticket. And if I get a ticket in housing I lose my privilege to drive on base for a month. Ouch. Drew would find no humor in that at all.

So, I really, really try to watch my speed. But deep in my heart I take after my deputy sheriff grandfather and think that speed limits are really for other people.

No comments:

Leaping For Joy

Leaping For Joy