Thursday, May 7, 2009

Lost Children

I lost my two youngest children today. Only for about twenty minutes, but still...I really wasn't sure where they were. You see, we have two plans for after school.

"Mamma's not working today plan" is where they all meet where Ben's class lines up at, then walk all together to the corner where I'll be waiting. If I'm not there just keep walking down the street - I'll be there soon.

"Momma IS working today plan" is where they all meet where Ben's class lines up at, then walk all together to either the front of the elementary or middle school (depending on which school I'm at) and wait for me and we'll all ride home together.

Today they did the wrong plan. Not only did they do the wrong plan, they walked the wrong way home. Not good!

I was at the middle school and they just plain forgot and walked to the corner. No mom. So, they kept walking.

By 2:30 when they had no shown up, I figured they had forgotten and were walking home, so I drove our route home.

No kids.

And no kids at home.

Hmmm....yeah. At this point I wasn't too happy. Maybe Melissa had to stay late for some reason and that's why they were late. So, I drove back to the middle school, parked the car and walked around some. No kids.

I called the elementary front office from the middle's front office. No kids. And no kids answering the phone at home.

Hmmm...yeah. REALLY not happy now.

So, I drove back to the house. Where Benjamin was playing in the road and Melissa was on the phone with her Daddy crying.

Because she couldn't find her mother and it was a long hot walk home.

But after a few hugs and some explaination and a cool bath, all's well.

1 comment:

Polly said...

See? This is why I don't let my children out in the world. I'm afraid of something like this happening. I would kick myself for months, even years.
Glad they're ok. And you too. You're a braver mamma than I am!

Leaping For Joy

Leaping For Joy