Monday, July 7, 2008

Boats and Fireworks

For the Fourth at the lake we only had fireworks from the neighbors - the real show was at the river and my kids didn't want to get in the car and drive to see them...and I made them go to be at a decent time.

But for the Fifth - now that's a different story! In the afternoon we attended a cookout at a family friend's pier so we could watch the Floatilla. It's an annual event for Lake St. John. Boat owners decorate their boats and parade by -most wave at all on the piers, some even throw things off like a Mardi Gras float. A few had sling-shots devices to shoot water-balloons and balls our way. This year one looked like a stage coach from the Old West - even had rolling wheels and galloping horses - very cool! I hope it won first place. I'll post a picture at some point -probably when I get back to my very own computer.

Later that night we went to watch the fireworks that one of Drew's brothers, Mark, helped organized. I think this might have been the first time ever that there were fireworks over the lake. He did a fantastic job! The show started with all the contributors setting off small lanterns that looked like hot-air balloons. Several took dives into the lake, but most went off into the wild blue yonder. Then the fireworks show begin and lasted for about 20 minutes. Mark also was able to have the local radio station play patriotic music in-sync with the show.

Mark really did a great job - and I think he's already starting to plan next year's festivities!

No comments:

Leaping For Joy

Leaping For Joy