Thursday, July 31, 2008

If You Were a Tree....

One thing I have thoroughly enjoyed here in the States are the trees. Yes, we do have trees in Guam, but they are short tropical ones instead of the tall variety in the States. I have always had a thing for trees. I just love being able to see all of one - especially off in the distance where you can see the silhouette of it.

I love trees not just because of the beautiful shape of them, but also how they are described in literature. One of my favorite poems (The Prophet) talks of spouses like two oaks that grow strong not in each other's shadows but next to each other. The Bible also speaks of trees and how we are to be like them by being planted near stream of water (Psalm and Jeremiah) and we are to be oaks of righteousness (Isaiah 61) showing God's glory.

This summer I have enjoyed driving down the highway with a wall of tall pines on either side of the road and have enjoyed looking at the cypress trees hanging with moss that line Lake St. John. But I was also saddened at the sight of the trees on the barrier island off of Biloxi. They are forever scared by the storm we know as Katrina. But yet, they too display strength and beauty - and God's glory.

I hope you take time out of your busy day and just look at the trees around you. And I hope that you'll too see God's glory.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I too love trees. Trees and grass are two very important things that are lacking here in Nevada.
Oh how I miss the tall, thick pines and majestic oaks of the South. And mercy! The magnolias when they are in bloom. Is there any thing more lovely in nature?
I challenge anyone to drive the Natchez trace and not gasp when they first enter the "tree tunnel" (A's description, pretty good I think). I think it is breathtaking.
I've really enjoyed your updates. Sorry I haven't commented, but between the move and catching the stomach bug from hades last week, I've been a little occupied.
Take care sweetie!

Leaping For Joy

Leaping For Joy