Monday, October 13, 2008

Tall Tales

Last week when I worked as a sub in the nurses' office (and no I'm not a nurse, but I play one at work), I got to know the new nurse, Connie. At her previous base she worked for workman's comp to ensure the injured were really injured.

Keep that in mind as I tell this story:

One afternoon after lunch a little one came into the office complaining of a tummy ache. We had been sending lots of kids home with tummy aches as well as vomiting, so we were not at all surprised at this one. I asked her when it started. She said, "It's been bothering me all day. I even throw-up on the bus this morning on the way to school."

"You did! Did you tell the bus driver?"

"Yes".

"Did he or you tell your teacher?"

"No".

I went on to explain that when she get sick like that she needs to tell her teacher and come see us. I took her temperature (which was normal), then sent her to lay down on a cot while I called a parent.

When I got the father on the phone, I said," I have your daughter here in the nurse's office at school and while she does not have the temperature, she is telling us she throw-up on the bus this morning."

"That's funny," he says,"she didn't ride the bus to school this morning."

Me: "Well...then...would you like to speak to her before I send her back to class?"

"Yes, ma'am, I would."

Oh, yes, Connie says, the little scam-artist start out young, but they all are the same.

No comments:

Leaping For Joy

Leaping For Joy