Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Cairns: Day One

By the time we landed, got through all the paperwork, got our luggage, and got to our "holiday apartment" it was close to 2 o'clock -AM. We all went to bed pretty quick and slept for several hours. After we got up we had to finish the paperwork for our apartment and car. We were able to buy a few groceries and through the front office we made reservations for several activities . We were able to walk around the village some also.







That night we went to Cairns' Night Zoo. They served us dinner then we walked around the zoo as the guide showed us several animals. The highlight was the koalas, kangaroos and the crocodiles.





We were able to pet the koalas but not hold them - we would at another zoo later in the week. One of the crocodiles was the biggest thing I have ever seen!! Oh, my! Since it was dark, I wasn't able to get a picture of it, but believe me when I say you don't want to find anything like that in your back yard!








We were able to feed the kangaroos. The kangaroos were very docile. The kids LOVED this!! I personally was a little grossed-out since at the same time they offered us cake and hot tea. So, we were to feed ourselves and the kangaroos at the same time??? Yuck!! I passed on the cake. But also, loved the kangaroos.








The evening ended with a singer and his guitar and several of us doing the "Hokey Pokey" - one of my favorite songs (seriously - just ask any of my preschool students). Some friends of ours were also in Cairns the same time we were and they were also at this zoo when we were - the kids had a great time their friends there.








No comments:

Leaping For Joy

Leaping For Joy